MEDIA, Pennsylvania (WPVI) — A law firm engaged by Sharon Hill Borough Council released its report on Friday into the policies and procedures surrounding the police shooting death of 8-year-old Fanta Bility.
The new report is heavily redacted, with many of its findings and recommendations not visible to the public.
Borough attorney Courtney Richardson said the deletions were intended to protect the purist from justice, as the cases are still ongoing.
She said the borough wants to create policies and procedures so this never happens again.
“Regaining the community’s trust in the police department because sadly it really does appear to have been lost because of this terrible tragedy,” Richardson said.
Bruce Castor, the attorney representing Bility’s family, called the report “unacceptable”.
“The undated and redacted report released today by Sharon Hill Borough is an insult to Fanta’s memory and completely unacceptable in any society that values truth and the rule of law. The heavily edited report raises more questions in the spirit of the family and the public he
responses,” he said in a statement.
Friday night, members of the Delaware County Black Caucus and other community members are expressing similar concerns.
“We need to know what Sharon Hill Borough Council and the police department are hiding,” said Arnold Jones, chairman of the Judiciary and Law Enforcement Committee.
Richardson said she had no timeline on whether and when officials would be able to release an unredacted version of the report.
“The borough is not hiding anything. I want to be very clear, the borough did not have to publish this report at all. And it did so because it was saying listen, we want to share as much as possible given the circumstances, because the community has a right to know something,” Richardson said.
Bility was shot in August 2021 while walking with her mother after a football game at Academy Park High School.
Three officers, identified as Brian Devaney, Sean Dolan and Devon Smith, fired their weapons as the match unfolded in response to gunfire they heard in the vicinity that were unrelated to the match. soccer.
They fired 25 shots at a black Chevy Impala, which they believed was where the shots came from.
This vehicle drove past the outgoing crowd, which included Bility.
The gunmen who fired the first shots, Angelo “AJ” Ford and Hasein Strand, were charged with first-degree murder in Bility’s death, but the charge was dropped and they pleaded guilty to assault. serious fact.
Earlier this week, the defense filed a motion to drop the intentional and manslaughter charges against Devaney, Dolan and Smith.
Copyright © 2022 WPVI-TV. All rights reserved.